User profile missing
PLEASE DONATE TO PLANET CANCER if this has helped you out.
The user profile service service failed the login.
User profile cannot be loaded. Windows Vista-
This one sucks a bit when you first see it. I think it is caused by standby problems. Turn hibernate and standby off, I bet it never comes back.
Here are 3 ways how to fix your corrupt user profile:
1. go to c:\users\yourname. look for your documents. are they there?
- copy your documents to a safe place
- copy your internet favorites to a safe place
- consider just copying to the new profile windows created for you and calling it a day, OR:
2. Use system restore (you must be an admin user to do this)
Start>all programs>accessories>system tools>system restore… restore to a known good date
3. Edit the Registry – The sortof hard way- (run as an administrator account, skip to 4 if you don’t have one)
The goal here is to take the .bak file and make it active again:
- start>run> regedit
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
- look for 2 sids (long numbers) that are the same. one ends in .bak the other doesn’t….
- “S-1-5-21-7623811015-3361044348-030300820-1013” –example (this is the temp one you are in now)
- “S-1-5-21-7623811015-3361044348-030300820-1013”.bak –example .bak (this is the good real one)
- rename the .bak to say “sid”.try1
- rename “sid”.bak to “sid” with no extension (here you are restoring your good sid from the windows backup”
- i’m not sure what to do if the .extension is .BAD. comment if you do please.
NEW – How to fix your machine with a corrupt profile if you DO NOT have an admin account that is functioning-
If you do not have an admin account that functions, you need to reset your admin password –
Go to this web page for instructions on how to create a cd that will reset your admin account. Don’t worry windows always comes with an admin account hidden for this purpose.
DON”T BE EVIL WITH THIS TOOL!!! You can go to jail for screwing with this tool in ways you should not be. Make sure you are aware of all 5th amendment violations you can cause by using this on somebody else’s machine.
May update – we think this happens when you close a laptop and it goes into suspend/hibernate and later runs out of battery. Not sure. MS is mum. Another MS fail from their tech support. The guy in India was nice, but come on, he was remoted in to my machine for almost 6 hours. He couldnt work it out and wouldn’t listen to me. i just wanted the cause.. not a fix as I seem to have that.
This is the #1 page on my site. PLEASE DONATE TO PLANET CANCER if this has helped you out. Besides wearing a tshirt, this is the biggest source of eyeballs to point at a super great organization. Please at least go watch a video on their site.